Sunday, June 19, 2016

DIY: 3 Ingredient Occlusive Night Cream

This is a bit of a detour in my routine which is entirely Asian beauty products, but I know most of y'all are all too familiar with my skincare gripes (no! Silicone! Alcohol! Mineral oil! Damn it!) For those who have similar skincare no-nos, I've written up the recipe I used so you can make it too!


I've been struggling for a while to find a winter night cream that is occlusive enough to seal in my skincare without being too heavy - unfortunately, most dry skin people swear by creams loaded with Vaseline, mineral oil or silicone which my skin just loathes. So I made a nighttime occlusive cream for myself! 


My little jar of whipped happiness!

It's just three ingredients - unrefined Shea butter, a little Emu oil (purely optional; I just love what it does for my skin) and some drops of rosemary essential oil.
Shea butter is an occlusive emollient which softens the skin & forms a protective barrier. Emu Oil is super close to human lipids and easily absorbed. Rosemary oil can help protect skin cells from damage often caused by the sun and free radicals & is an awesome antiseptic (plus it smells amazing!)
 
The cream applies quite thick, which is why it's important to emulsify and warm it in your hands as a part of the application.


As its absorbed, it leaves skin soft, hydrated and glowing!


You'll need:
- 75g unrefined Shea Butter. You can purchase it online, but I'm lucky to live very close to a shop which stocks it in bulk. For fellow Adelaide people, The Honey Shoppe in the Central Markets is where I head for Shea Butter!
- 1 - 2tsp of Emu Oil. This is purely optional but as my skin reacts very well to Emu Oil, I decided to include it for extra hydration and nutrition, and to lighten up the shea butter some.
- 7 - 10 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil. I personally prefer Rosemary Essential Oil because of its skin benefits and how lovely it smells. You can pick up quality essential oils online, or in most health food stores.
- A hand mixer. Theoretically you COULD beat it by hand but I don't have that kind of upper body strength and my electric hand mixer is my darling angel baby so I prefer that!
- A sterilized glass jar (see footnote)
- A spatula 
- A mixing bowl

How to:
- Add the Shea Butter to a clean mixing bowl. I like to mash it down a little bit with a fork to make it easier to beat with the mixers.
- Add the Emu Oil and half your chosen amount of Essential Oil.
- Start on a low speed and combine the ingredients in the bowl with the electric hand mixer. When combined, turn up the speed to medium and whip for 2 minutes. 
- Turn the mixer off, add the rest of your essential oils and turn back up to medium high speed and beat for 5 minutes.
- When it's lighter, smooth and well combined, turn off the mixer and scrape down the beaters.
- Using the spatula, scrape the mix into the cooled, sterilized glass jar and screw lid on tightly. Store in a cool, dark place away from moisture contaminants (I keep mine in my bathroom cabinet) and it should last for at least 2 years (Shea Butter is incredibly resilient)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Keep water as far away from the process of mixing, storing and application as you can. Water makes the oils and butters go rancid which makes them just stinky, icky and wholly ineffective. You don't want that! As an extra measure of hygiene, I like to re-purpose old skincare spatulas (or break the handle off a plastic takeaway utensil) and use that to get cream out of the jar. You don't get contaminations from your fingers, and it's very easy to measure how much you need that way.

How to use it:
After your nighttime routine, apply it as the last step of your skincare. Occlusives are designed to repair your moisture barrier and stop moisture from escaping your skin. It also stops any further skincare from permeating your skin, so you want to apply it absolutely last to seal all the goodies in! A little goes a long way, so start small and if you feel like you need more, apply more! 
After I double cleanse, use an active, lotion, sheet mask, snail mucin essence, I warm a pea sized amount of cream in my hands and smooth it over my face. I find it absorbs well without being sticky or greasy and leaves a light moist glow over my skin, in the morning I wake up with no scratchy dry bits on my face, so I'm happy!

Shiny skin is welcome when it comes to skincare! Shine is happy, moisturised skin!
I hope fellow silicone/mineral oil/alcohol free folks find this helpful - if you have blends that work for your skin, do let me know! I'm always learning more about this stuff!

xx
Z

1 comment:

  1. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious...
    diy projects

    ReplyDelete