Sunday, August 16, 2015

Blogger Resurrection, and some coffee scrub goodness!

Well, well, well, it's been a long time hasn't it! A lot has happened in a year- I found my passion, overcame personal demons and even had my jaw reconstructed (FINALLY! Don't worry, there's a post to come aaalll about that fun time!) I've been meditating about posting on here again, let's try and make this a more regular thing?

So. Hi! 


Eyes: Bobbi Brown gel liner, Chantecaille Faux Cils mascara.
Brows: STILA Precision Brow Pencil in Black
Complexion: My handmade coffee scrub, followed by REN Radiance Protection serum & La Roche-Posay SPF50+
Nude by Nature mineral finishing veil, NARS Dual Intensity Blush in Jubilation
Lips: Mecca Cosmetica Lip De Luscious

Don't mind the gratuitous selfie, but I am STOKED! It's taken me a good long time, but I've finally hopped on the coffee scrub bandwagon and holy shmow! I don't think my skin has felt this smooth and looked this glowy, like, ever. The caffeine in the coffee stimulated my skin which depuffed my eyes and firmed my jawline, I could even feel it buzzing as I was using it in the shower! The grinds & sugar smoothed my rough skin out, the oil beautifully moisturised my skin and the honey helped keep my smooth skin feeling dewy and luxurious.

Why'd I give this a shot? I was super gutted to find out that the Lush Cup of Joe coffee mask scrub isn't available in Australia yet (perpetually jealous of all the Lushies who get the good stuff first! You lucky jerks!) but having just got a new amazing coffee machine, I have coffee grinds coming out the wazoo so I thought, how hard could it be to make a coffee scrub yourself?
The answer being NOT HARD AT ALL. In fact, I had everything I needed in my pantry already! Want in on this action? You'll just need a couple of things!


 A nice sturdy jar, preferably with an easy open lid. You don't want to be struggling with a lid in the shower, and you certainly don't want any difficulty putting it back on with scrub covered hands!
Next, assemble the troops! You're going to need:
  • Freshly ground coffee. As fine as possible! You don't want to tear your face to shreds with big coffee granules. If you don't have a coffee machine, you could buy some pre-ground non soluble coffee, but it might need a little blitz in a food processor or smash in a mortar and pestle to get it fine. Heck, if you ask nicely enough, a nice barista pal could give you some of their shop grinds; they don't need them once the coffee is made!
  • A high quality body safe oil. Olive oil is a superb moisturiser, as is sweet almond oil. Coconut oil is popular, but I don't like it for my face, it's far too heavy. My all time favourite is Avocado oil, it's not the most accessible oil but any good health food shop should have some. It has a lovely dry texture and wonderful anti-ageing properties (y'all know how crazy I am about anti-ageing stuff!)
  • Brown sugar! Some people like to use raw sugar, but I like the texture of brown sugar, it's lovely and gentle and is a good combination with the gritty grinds.
  • Honey. Now, this is optional if you're vegan, but I LOVE honey for skin care. It acts as a humectant to keep the moisture in your skin, and that makes it a match in heaven with a body oil.

It couldn't be easier! You'll need 3 tablespoons of coffee grinds, 2 tablespoons of your oil of choice, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and one tablespoon of honey (optional, of course.)

Whack it all in your cleaned jar of choice, stir until it's all combined and goopy. Keep this baby in a sealed jar in your bathroom and it'll be good for two months or so.

So, how to use this stuff? Easy! You'll want to use this in the shower, or at least with a wet face, because if you don't dampen your face beforehand, the grinds will do a number on your lovely delicate face. If you're in the shower, towel dry your hand (it just stops the mix going funny) and grab a twenty cent piece sized blob (about the size of a grape) add a little water to the blob to work it into a paste & smooth onto damp skin. Very gently massage this into your face, taking care around the delicate areas of your eyes, and then let the mix soak into your skin for 1 - 2 minutes before rinsing very thoroughly (until your skin no longer feels oily.)
I like to follow my scrub with some toning to just remove any residual oil and scrub, and that's it! Your skin will be feeling like heaven, and you'll be looking a million bucks! 

It's worth noting, due to the grittiness of this scrub, it's not suitable for sensitive skin, or daily use. Keep it as a two - three weekly deal and your skin will thank you for it!

I hope you enjoyed this post, and enjoy this scrub! Let me know how you go with it!

xx
Z


4 comments:

  1. amazing!! My sking is def in need of something like this so I'll be trying this anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing This post. It's gretful blog I have really enjoyed keeping up with you on this blog. I would like to thank you for sharing this blog. MYRA Collection is a brand with an eye for detail that aims to inspire a new generation of modest fashionable clothing like Hijab online, Maxi skirt, Shirt dress, Hijab fashion, Long tunic for the modern Muslim woman.

    ReplyDelete