Monday, July 8, 2013

LoveAesthetics/Grey Ant Inspired Sunglasses DIY Project ♥

In the past few days, I have come around to making a pretty big decision about my life & the path I want to take. It's been a hard five days, and I imagine it will be hard for the next few weeks, but I know in my heart that it's what I should do. While it's such early days, I don't really feel comfortable talking in great detail about it on a public forum, those who know me well & whom I hold dearly are supporting me, and that's all I could ask for in this time.

I've been trying to keep myself occupied, so I dug up a shitbox pair of old sunglasses that I haven't work in ages & gave this lil project a try. I am more than a little inspired by the ever lovely Ivania Carpio, and I've been wanting to give one of her DIY projects a try for a long while, so this is my translation of her take on Grey Ant's The Foundry glasses.


I used a fine tooth hacksaw*, ultra fine grit sandpaper (grit 240, Aluminium Oxide) and a pair of pliers. The pair in the picture are needle nosed, because I couldn't find my favourite grippy pair!
*While I absolutely endorse giving things a go for yourself, hacksaws are NOT to be taken lightly and if you're not feeling confident or have no experience, get someone to help you! I was originally planning on using a jigsaw cutter, but an assessment of the project had me decide that powertools were entirely unnecessary.
Some other helpful tools would include a rubber grip clamp, a piece of cloth to protect the lenses, and something to mark where you'd like to cut.

Now, because I'm a total dingus, I forgot to take a before photo, so please excuse my tacked on off cuts to give you an idea of what these things looked like before I messed with them. Mark where you would like the cuts to go on your specs and when they're to your liking, carefully secure the frames to a workbench. I used a piece of towelling to hold the frames steady, so I didn't scratch my lenses too badly. 

Starting with the outer frames, I gently sawed until I reached the lenses, and when there was enough leverage, the lenses popped out and I put them away from scratchy tools so I could work on the inner corners of the frames. It was fiddly work, so when the cuts were deep enough on each side, I used pliers to snap off the bottom parts. Not a good idea if you have very brittle frames you're working with, but these were less than ten dollars and made of soft plastic, so it was easy.

Using ultra fine sand paper, I filed down the edges & corners of the frames. Because I didn't cut the plastic lenses at all, I didn't need to file them, but if you're cutting into glass or hard plastic, it is imperative that you file down those sharp edges so they don't hurt you when you're wearing them! Pop the lenses back into the frames, give them a little polish to get rid of the last of the fingerprints/file marks and you're done!  

And viola! I'm pretty happy with this little revamp of something that was otherwise going to just sit around and gather dust, naturally I felt compelled to take them for a spin. Their debut coincided with my taking out a lip ring that I've had since I was, like, sixteen years old, which is a pretty big personal deal for myself. It's weird feeling, in a good way!
Thanks for reading, if y'all get around to giving this tutorial a shot, I'd love to see how they turn out! ♥

xx


5 comments:

  1. such a great idea!! the final result looks awesome!
    x

    veruzkas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome and if I may say you're very cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I just came over from Modelmayhem. Love your blog.

    Duncan
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/541982

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you lady? I miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete