Thursday, May 26, 2011

Vegan Chana Masala recipe

I thought I should kick things off by confessing something to you guys. I think it's about time I was honest you people.
I am grappling with a crippling addiction to CHICKPEAS. Seriously. I'm eating hommus as I type this!

It's funny- before I went vegan, I never would have thought I'd put hommus, or chickpeas/mushrooms/lentils/tofu/asparagus/most things near my mouth, but since changing my diet, I have been introduced to so many new foods. Some of which I have become TOTALLY addicted to. Chickpeas, this is your cue!

When the weather starts to cool down, we all reach for our favourite winter warmer food. I have always had an affinity with Indian food, but I've only recently really been making them at home. Chickpea based curries in particular- I ADORE Chana Masala, and found a really easy recipe to make it at home. I've modified it a little, chucked some more vegetable goodies in (which can easily be omitted if you don't want them.) It's filling, warming and very hearty- above all, it's easy + quick to make!

Vegan Chana Masala (with some other extra goodies chucked in!)
Serves 4.





Ingredients:
- Two tins of organic chickpeas in water. Drain them, then rinse them, then fill the can back up with water nearly to the top. The original recipe called for the whole tin, water and all, to be thrown in- but chickpea water makes you fart! I substituted one tin of chickpeas with a tin of lentils, but that is totally optional.

- 1 onion, diced finely.
- 5 cloves of garlic, diced finely. 
- Several mushrooms, chopped finely (optional)
- 5 tbsp olive oil.
- Juice from one lemon.
- 1 tsp curry powder.
- 1 tsp coriander powder.
- 1 tsp ground cumin.
- 1 tsp Garam Masala 
- 1 bag of Baby Spinach.
- Salt + pepper to taste.

How to:

1. Sautee the garlic and onion together in the olive oil, in a hot pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft + see through.
2. Add the chickpeas, water + all, along with the spices + lemon juice. Don't add the lentils just yet- they don't need much cooking + if you cook them for too long, they just turn to mush! Cover the pan, and simmer the chickpeas for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked + soft.
3. Add the mushrooms, if you are adding them, and cook until soft. If you're adding the lentils, wait until the mushrooms are cooked before stirring them in.
4. Add the bag of spinach- it may look like heaps, but it wilts down. To make it easy, put the lid over the pan + wait a few minutes for it to wilt. Stir through + serve over rice, delicious! :D

I hope you enjoy the recipe- I think it needs a teaspoon of ginger to give it a little kick, but I'll add that in next time! You could also add a dash of coconut cream if you like your curries creamy, but this is honestly perfect without it :D

Happy cooking! Let me know how it goes!

xx
Z

4 comments:

  1. Are chickpeas expensive there? Coz I really wanted to make hommus and pesto and stuff, especially chunky roasted capsicum and sundried tomato dip OH MY GOD. But it's a bit expensive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this for dinner tonight. It was lovely! I added some ginger, and I didn't have coriander powder so I added extra garam masala, but ugh, so good. The lemon makes it refreshing, which is a nice touch for a hearty meal. Thankyou! :)

    ReplyDelete