Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How to grow your eyebrows out + avoid looking silly!

I don't know how many of you wonderful readers I have on my Tumblr or Facebook, but for those who don't, I have recently reached a rather huge decision in my life that I want to grow my eyebrows back.

Edit: My eyebrows grew back with great success & I have since written an updated version of my brow ritual. Do check it out! ♥

I've been shaving my eyebrows for close to six years now- after I burnt them off by accident as a teen, I just kept shaving + stayed content with having them gone. I must say, after six years of drawing them on every day, I am quite tired of it now! Along with growing my eyebrows back, I dyed my turquoise hair back to black. I did LOVE having blue hair, but it really represents quite a turbulent part of my life- now that I am past that, I feel that my image should reflect that, too. I also want to be taken more seriously as a heavily modified alternative girl in the fashion world, so I thought that should begin with having gorgeous, glossy black locks. What do you think? :D


Naturally, I DO have quite thick eyebrows- I'm thankful, as I really dig the thick brow aesthetic that is popular at the moment, along with the glamour they ooze (Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly + Edie Sedgewick anyone? :D)
I'm also very keen on not looking like an alien after a shower/in the morning, when my drawn on eyebrows have long since come off! Teehee!

I know a lot of my beautiful alternative friends who also shave their eyebrows off are curious as to how the growing back process goes, as with many of my friends who fell victim to the addiction of over-plucking, so I thought I'd post what I've been doing to minimize the bristly look while they're growing back.
Full brows are something that is so gorgeous right now, requires very little maintenance and frame your face beautifull.
If you're thinking of growing your brows back, you'll need:

- PATIENCE. Seriously- it's not something that is going to happen overnight, but the wait is worth it!

- A good eyebrow pencil. I bought mine from Natio, but Benefit + MAC also do excellent brow pencils. Eyebrow pencils are different to eyeliner pencils- they're much waxier + less soft, so they can withstand sweat, being rubbed off + brow powders stick much better to them. They also usually come with a little brush to easily smudge them into your brows. You are much better off hunting down a slightly more expensive eyebrow pencil than just using eyeliner- it's just not worth the smudge!


- A good eyebrow powder. If you have existing eyebrows + are trying to grow out over tweezed bits, you should definitely invest in a brow kit- they have waxes, combs + matte powders to fill your brows. If you're like me, sans brows, just buying powder for now until you have some hair is a good move.
You CAN use eyeshadow, but it doesn't tend to stick as well, and they often contain mica, which can give your eyebrows an unwanted shimmer. As long as you stick to matte, sheen free powders, you should be okay! That said, I picked my brow powder up from Inglot :)

- A creamy concealer + light shimmery eyeshadow. I use these to blend + conceal my bristly bits while growing my brows out. It also works wonders blended into your eyebrow arch to give you an instant non-surgical brow lift :D



- My top secret ingredient to bring this all together: CASTOR OIL.
It may sound bizarre, but the fatty oils in Castor Oil is excellent to promote hair growth, soft follicles + happy skin. I slick some on my brows before I go to bed, and I can honestly feel the difference in the morning. It's AMAZING!
For girls with existing brows, I seriously recommend you sleep with some on, and even comb some through in the morning. Not only does it make your brows look plump + healthy, but they also make them appear slightly darker + more filled in. Genius!
The only downside to Castor Oil, is it is sold in Pharmacies as a popular laxative, or labour inducer. Buying a bottle was slightly awkward, but well worth it!

Now, ladies, I know it's hard, but PUT DOWN THOSE TWEEZERS. The only way your brows are going to grow back full + healthy is if you leave them the hell alone! It will be hard for a while, trying to resist the urge, but trust me- it's worth it!
No more tweezing them into weird shapes, with high arches- let them grow free- only tweeze what you have to, outside your brow shape, or leave them alone!
I know the bristles are a hard thing to look at- they're hard to know they're on your face, being bristly + annoying.
Remember that people aren't going to be as up close and scrutinising your face as you are in your mirror- relax! People will hardly notice! To further resist the urge to tweeze by dotting on your favourite creamy concealer + blending in some lovely shimmery powder. Make sure it's the same or lighter than your skin tone, or it may look a little odd!
This is also a handy trick for when your eyes feel heavy + you need a little lift- shimmery powder in your brow arches is like an instant brow lift! :D

I've found filling in where my brows usually go (you can usually tell by day two where your brows are 'meant' to be) with a good eyebrow pencil, a few shades lighter than my hair, and pressing a good brow powder into the pencil creates natural shaped + wear resistant brows. I also blend a little concealer + highlighting powder into my arches to conceal bristles + make my eyes look more awake. And I'm done! That was much easier than drawing them on every morning now, wasn't it?

I'll leave you with a photo I took earlier tonight of day four of growing back my brows. If you blow the photo up huge, you can see where they used to be, but again, I don't really care- no one is going to be that close to my face scruitinising it asides from my slampiece- but he's not fazed by spare brow fluff anyways ;D




I'm actually in love with the custom palette I made at Inglot yesterday- isn't that soft brown amazing? :D

I'll shoot + write up a tutorial on pencilling in natural brows if you'd like? Let me know :)



I hope you're all having a simply beautiful day! ♥

xx


Z

16 comments:

  1. I'm doing the same for the moment, I've also been shaving them for 7 years now, but I got bored of it and the shaving, I'm still not sure if I like my face with the real eyebrows , it's like looking to another face when i'm looking in the mirror , but I'm gonna get used to it I guess.

    btw , I loooove black hair on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fascinating. But i would just like to add that i have dont shave/wax my eyebrows or legs, simply as i have NO need for it. But i would love a detailed tutorial on filling in eyebrows. Also if you could give some tips on how to draw on eyebrows that would be awesome. I have been trying to make the plunge.. So now u can help me draw em on and fill them in if i epic fail.

    Also i dont think you could NOT be taken seriously in the bodmod world. But black hair is definitely a sexy look on you... Still dreaded??

    Last but not least - INGLOT IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!! I is very broke atm so i cant buy anything but goddamn i love their glitters and everything. Im like a kid in a candy store in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for actual eyebrows. I thread mine to make them beautiful and groomed well. I'm glad the eyebrow growing trend is back :P and dark glossy hair always looks great

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love your new hair color <3
    I can only imagine that you get tired of shaving them off and drawing some one for 6 years..

    Also yay for thick eyebrows, I have thick ones myself :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like to keep mine groomed but not thin at all...i won't ever shave it...what if it never grows back!0_o :P
    visit
    http://flysongbird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. first of all you look like shit ok uhm the periceing uh nooo anyways some girls dont wanna wait!!! some people have a repuatioin to protect mk... some sexy girls have that pressure unlike you evedentually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repuatioin? Evedentually? You might not like her piercings, but your spelling and your mind are both pretty ugly. Grow up. Read a book.

      Delete
  7. ah! first off; id like to thank you for deciding how to grow your brows back; and writing this blog. ive been looking all over google to figure out how to do this with out looking like a complete retard.

    youve made this alot easier for me. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You. Are. Absolutely. GORGEOUS!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for great advice! You look so good with black hair x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been shaving my eyebrows for a while & just penciling them in, I'm at the point where I want my eyebrows back! I felt like I was the only one that did this. Thanks for this article!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just started growing mine back! Like you I'm sick of drawing them on and looking like an alien in the mornings...
    After 8 years I'm ready to be presentable. ..lol...
    Im going to try castrol oil... Thanks for the awesome tips;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the stripe shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. growing mine back after shaving them for 18 years !! wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete