Monday, March 7, 2011

Vegan Yums for The Busted Ass Broke ;D

Super Quick and Easy Eats for When You’re Busted Ass Broke.

Chickpea Pasta with Super Quick Garlic Bread
You will need for the pasta:

2 ½ cups uncooked pasta – I used large shell pasta; it’s my favourite!
2 tins organic chickpeas, drained
1 medium size onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 jar of tomato based pasta sauce- I used Raguletto’s Basil and Red Wine
Bag of baby spinach- optional

You will need for the garlic bread:

2 pieces of bread- I used Helga’s ‘Quinoa and Linseed’ bread, it’s delicious!
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons of olive oil
A shake of mixed dried herbs
A pinch of salt

How to;

Bring a large pot full of water to the boil, and throw the pasta shells in.
Peel onion + chop finely. I like to process them in a mini blender/manual food processor- much less eye stingyness and you can get the onion chopped much finer, which is optimal in a recipe like this. Throw the onion into an oiled pot over medium high heat + stir. Crush the garlic cloves into the pot, then cook until the onion starts to go see through.

Add both cans of chickpeas + stir until mixed thoroughly before adding the pasta sauce. Stir thoroughly, then turn the heat down to simmer. I like to stir in a few tablespoons of water, before covering the pot with a lid and letting it simmer for 15 minutes or so, checking the peas regularly. I like my chickpeas cooked until they’re firm on the outside but quite soft in the middle- some people don’t like them cooked that well, it’s all up to you. The pasta should be done by now, so drain it and set It aside.

Once the chickpeas are cooked to your liking, take the pot off the heat and stir in the baby spinach. I know I harp on about baby spinach, but it’s just SO GOOD for you and SO EASY to incorporate into recipes- don’t be lazy!

While letting the sauce chill out for a bit, stick the bread in the toaster. While it’s toasting, preheat the grill + combine the minced garlic, oil, salt and herbs in a small glass. Once the toast pops out, use a teaspoon to spread/daub the garlic mixture on, then stick it under a hot grill. You’ll want to keep an eye on the bread so that it doesn’t burn. When it’s looking more golden, take it out. Grab some pasta, lump the sauce on top + eat with the garlic bread- too easy!



AND IT LOOKS YUM :D

The best part about this recipe is it’s versatility- it’s something I just improv’d with things we had in the cupboard because it’s the day before pay day and I didn’t want to eat crap. You can add whatever to the sauce- beans, lentils, mushrooms, vegan soy protein mince- the possibilities are endless! 

There is quite a bit of sauce leftover whenever I make it, which you can refrigerate and eat the next day, on pasta, on its own, or even on toast!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

xx

Z

3 comments:

  1. Obviously, I didn't have an baby spinach to stir in when I took the picture- I hope to make it again with more vegie goodness next time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god can I come over for dinner?! That looks so goddamn delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds lovely, will try it out later this week

    ReplyDelete