Sunday, March 6, 2011

Moar Vegan Yums!

Hey guys! There’s another tongue split post on its way- I have to get the pictures I need for it, so in the meantime, due to popular demand, here’s some more of my favourite vegan recipes!

~*~

Vegan Risotto

You will need:

½ cup Aborio risotto rice per person
½ onion per person, chopped
½ teaspoon of garlic mince per person, or 1 clove per person freshly crushed
1 carrot, peeled + chopped
3 Swiss mushrooms per person, sliced thinly
3 Shitake mushrooms per person, sliced thinly
A big handful of green beans, chopped into 1 inch lengths
Small head of broccoli, cut into florets
Small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
A small bunch of Asparagus, stems trimmed, cut in half
½ bag of baby spinach, per person
1 carton of Massels Chicken Stock (it’s vegan friendly!)
Olive Oil
Parmezano (vegan parmesan cheese) –optional-

How to:

Chop onions. I find that putting them in something like a small food processor and whizzing them for a couple of seconds chops them just nicely + stings your eyes less. Put them in a big, oiled pot over high heat + stir continuously for a minute or so, then add the garlic. Stir over medium high heat until soft + translucent. Throw in the rice + stir until mixed well + coated with oil + onion.

Okay, this is the bit that requires a strong arm and a bit of patience, but it is SO WORTH IT! Promise!
Add half a cup of stock at a time, and stir thoroughly until absorbed. Continuously add stock until rice is al dente (try a bit, it should still have a firmness)

Throw in all the vegetables, except the spinach, and add more stock. Stir thoroughly over high heat + add more stock until rice is soft + vegetables are nice and cooked. Take off the heat, and dump in the baby spinach + stir until coated and wilted nicely. If you have it handy, dump in a good amount of Parmezano. Mmm cheesy!

And then you have it! An 8 vegetable vegan risotto, that will pack a nutritional punch + make you feel goooood! Best of all, there’s always leftovers that can be eaten as is, or rolled into balls, coated with breadcrumbs and fried in a bit of olive oil; risotto patties! YOU CAN EAT THEM IN BURGERS! :D
I think the best part is, is you can chop and change the vegetables- hell, add more if you feel like it! I know I sure am mental about them!

~*~

Now, to wash this down, I thought I would include my FAVOURITE cupcake recipe. It’s vegan, delicious and makes HEAPS of fluffy, gorgeous cupcakes! Best part about vegan baking? There’s no raw egg- so you can eat the batter without having to be worried about icky illnesses!

Vegan Cupcakes!
makes 22 cupcakes

You will need:

1 TB apple cider vinegar
1 ½ scant cups plain soymilk
2 1/8 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 1/8 cups sugar
½ cup oil
1 ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. coconut extract

Preheat the oven to 180C, 160C if it’s fan forced. Spray 22 muffin cups with nonstick spray or line with paper cupcake liners (I like to spray the inside of the muffin papers with nonstick spray to help the cupcakes release). Set aside.

Place the apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a liquid measuring cup and fill the cup with soymilk to equal 1 ½ cups. Stir well and set aside (the mixture will curdle).

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another mixing bowl whisk together the soymilk mixture, canola oil, vanilla, and coconut extract. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth using a hand-held mixer, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Fill each muffin cup with ¼ cup of batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. 

Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire rack. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.

Now, while I AM a fan of vanilla cupcakes, I also like to mix things up a bit, and add stuff! 
Chop up a packet of Oreos for vegan Oreo cupcakes, throw in some grated Sweet William chocolate for chocolate chip! 
Cut up some apples + throw in some teaspoons of cinnamon for super cute apple cinnamon cuppycakes- the variations are endless! 

~*~

Let me know what you come up with- I’m going to hold a bit of a project for you! Send me in your variations and the ones that sound the tastiest, I’ll feature on my blog! Post them in the comments section, or send them to: zephyrhatesyou[at]gmail[dot]com

(Sorry I haven't replied to your emails sooner- this last week has been hectic + I lost my bloody email account password and blah blah. I'll do my best to reply to everyone, honest!)

Get cooking- happy eatings to all of you!

xx

Z

1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling a wee bit hungry now... I'm so buying up the ingredients and having a family feast of risotto and cupcakes =O!!!

    ReplyDelete