Sunday, March 13, 2011

How-to recycle old knits. DIY legwarmers!

I’ve been feeling a little off recently- I don’t know what it is about the weather at the moment, but it makes me feel like the hugest pile of doody in the universe. Rather than attempt to find any means of motivation to actually get up and leave the house, I thought I would type up a suuper quick and easy DIY how-to for your viewing pleasure :D

I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that we ALL have those items in our wardrobe that we no longer wear, but don’t have the heart to give them away. I am most definitely all for donating clothes to op shops to be recycled and loved by another person, but sometimes all it takes is a little customisation for you to refresh some clothes potentials to be loved some more!

How to make legwarmers from old knits.
This is SUPER easy- it can seriously be done in a matter of minutes!

All you need is:

An old sweater/knit
A seam ripper/sharp pair of scissors
Any fancy odds and ends you think will look cute :D


I found this shrug at an op shop + fell in love with the softness of the knit + pattern. It was never going to fit me, but I knew I could find something to do with it!



Turn the knit inside out and find the seam where the sleeve of the knit meets the torso. It’s really important that you don’t cut ON the actual sleeve, as they will eventually unravel. Use the seam ripper to unpick the seam. Be careful with the shoulder/vertical seams, where the sweater comes together, cutting the wrong thread there can mean the whole thing comes unravelled D:



Now, find a suitably cute outfit, slip your new legwarmers on + enjoy! :D



Stay tuned- I’ll also be putting up a tutorial on how to use the rest of the sweater to make an ADORABLE beanie!

xx

Z

1 comment:

  1. They look funkycool, but I don't think they'd gel too well with my hairy legs :] can't wait for the beanie!

    ReplyDelete